Ideal Candidates for Breast Surgery
Breast surgery is often thought of as nothing more than breast augmentation. However, there is more to breast surgery than simply breast augmentation. Breast surgery can include augmentation, reduction, reconstruction and lift. When it comes to matters of the breast, are you an ideal candidate for breast surgery?
Breast augmentation, also known as augmentation mammaplasty, is when breast implants are surgically placed in a patient to restore volume loss due to pregnancy or weight loss, increase the fullness of the area and also improve the symmetry of the breasts.
You might be an ideal candidate for breast augmentation if:
- Either one or both of your breasts are elongated or failed to develop normally
- Your breasts are asymmetrical
- Your breasts are losing volume and shape due to aging, weight loss or pregnancy
- You feel that your breasts are too small
- You are in good overall health and have realistic expectations
Breast reduction, also known as reduction mammaplasty, removes an excessive amount of breast fat, skin and glandular tissue in order to make the breasts more in proportion with the body. It also helps to relieve pain and discomfort that comes from having overly large breasts.
You might be an ideal candidate for breast reduction surgery if:
- Your breasts are too large in proportion to your body size
- You suffer from shoulder, neck and back pain due to overly large breasts
- You have poor posture due to your breast size
- One breast is quite larger than the other one
- You have trouble sleeping thanks to breast discomfort while lying in bed
- You get infections or rashes on the skin under the breasts
- You feel self-conscious about their size
- You can’t easily take part in physical activities due to their size
Breast reconstruction is surgery for women who have had part, or all, of the breast removed. The breast mound is rebuilt to match the shape and size of the other breast. The surgery can also add the nipple and the darker area around the nipple to match their original appearance. Depending on the health of the patient, as well as any surgeries the patient had in the past, the surgeon has the choice of reconstructing the breasts with a TRAM or DIEP flap.
You might be an ideal candidate for breast reconstruction if:
- Having reconstruction will make you feel “whole” or “complete”
- You want to restore your feelings of femininity and confidence
- You wish to restore breast symmetry
- You are in good overall health, don’t smoke or have any preexisting conditions
- The reconstruction will not affect any current treatment or recovery
A breast lift, or mastopexy, is a surgical procedure that firms and raises the breasts. The raising of the breasts is accomplished by removing any excess skin as well as tightening the tissue that surrounds the breasts to reshape and provide support for the new contour of the breast.
You might be an ideal candidate for a breast lift if:
- You want to restore the shape of the breasts following pregnancy
- You want to improve the contour of the breasts after a large weight loss
- You want to reposition breasts that have started drooping due to aging
- You want to restore the symmetry of your breasts
- The tissue around the areola or breast has become stretched
Before making a final decision on having any type of breast surgery, patients should schedule a consultation with a board-certified doctor. The doctor will perform a complete medical examination to help the patient determine the best option for their medical needs as well as how to best achieve their desired results.